AN ARGUMENT AGAINST COHABITATION / CASUAL SEX
P1. Cohabitation normalizes sex outside of marriage (fornication and adultery)
P2. Society should discourage anything which normalizes sex outside of marriage (fornication and adultery)
C. Therefore society should discourage cohabitation
While most agree that adultery is wrong and should be discouraged, fornication is becoming more socially acceptable even though it:
- Increases the risk of fatherless children
- Increases the risk of STDs
- Decreases the likelihood of long lasting relationships which are vital to society. (Premarital sex partners have higher divorce rates, broadly speaking)
- Promotes marriage infidelity and commitment breaking.
- Decreases the importance of procreative responsibility
- Disproportionally emphasises the sexual element of all relationships
- Is unfairly risky to women compared to men
- Dehumanises potential partners as sex objects
Sex outside of marriage is a genuine threat to our solution to the social problem that every society must solve.